On Friday, May 12th, Neighbors FCU honored students, educators, and local organizations as well as highlighted the work of the Neighbors Capitol Area Foundation at their Neighbors Way Tuition Assistance Awards Breakfast. 15 Mascot school students received a one-time scholarship award ranging from $1,000-$7,500. Two outstanding students were chosen to receive the Greg Inman Memorial Scholarship and the Neighbors Kinship Award.
Named in memory of our former Chief Operations Officer, Greg Inman, this student received a 4-year, $20,000 scholarship. Greg was an incredible supporter of our Mascot schools and a shining example of faith and leadership in our community.
The Neighbors Kinship Award is new this year and was created to honor graduating seniors of Neighbors employees that exemplify the Neighbors Way. Each year, qualifying high school seniors who have a parent or legal guardian with a minimum of one-year service will be eligible to receive a $1,000 award to be put towards their first year of college.
The 15 Tuition Award Recipients are as follows:
- Alaina McKey – Central High School
- Alexis Smith – Port Allen High School
- Ariel Jones – McKinley High School
- Brett Carlton – St. Helena College & Career Academy
- Cole Szucs – Denham Springs High School
- Jake Velasquez – Walker High School
- Kathryn Weber – Live Oak High School
- Kaydence Bradford – Liberty Magnet High School
- Kelci Simon – Southern University Lab School
- La'Tayna Williams – Baker High School
- Mia Landry – Broadmoor High School
- Mia Shepherd – Scotlandville Magnet High School
- Paige Odom – The Dunham School
- Ryan Wyche – Woodlawn High School
- Sandy Nguyen – Baton Rouge Magnet High School
Over the last 6 years, Neighbors FCU has awarded $245,000 in scholarships to 82 students and is proud to continue this mission for years to come.
The Neighbors Capital Area Foundation was created to support education-focused & community-driven initiatives in the greater Baton Rouge area. As we grow our initiatives, we seek to become an invaluable educational resource to underserved individuals and groups in our service community through scholarships, grants, and volunteer efforts. For more information on Neighbors Day and the rest of our Area Foundation initiative programs, please visit neighborsfoundation.org/